Job Shadow with STEM Partner
Navigate Career Paths and Build Connections
Make a 1:1 Connection with a STEM Professional For Grades 9-12
Your Kids Will:
- Have their individual questions answered and interests addressed in a career or industry area that they’re considering
- Get information from a professional working in their area of interest about what it is like to have a career in this field
- Make a connection with a potential future employer (not a guarantee of this program)
- Learn what skills may set them apart in a career area they are interested in
- Get practice interacting within a professional environment
Course Overview: Job Shadow or 1:1 Educational Interview with STEM Partner
As a high schooler, it can be challenging to navigate career pathways and potential opportunities after high school. A job shadow or educational interview is a great way to make a connection with a professional to learn more about an industry or career. In this program, kids will be able to ask questions specific to their needs and interests to help them navigate the exciting world ahead within STEM.
This program offers high school students an opportunity to learn more about a career or industry they are interested in and to get a glimpse of what it is like to work in this area. Based on the STEM area of interest, we will reach out to our vast partner network to find the best mentor that matches your request. In the event that a connection cannot be made in the requested field, then a full refund will be provided.
Industry partners and career areas are constantly changing, but may include the following:
Industry Partners: Ball Aerospace, Oracle, Sphero, Build a Robot K12, STEM Lab, STEM Launch, Junkyard Social, Raytheon, Lockeed Martin, Pearl Izumi, Lafuma, Eider, Ride Concepts
Career Areas: Software Engineer, Technology Lead, Systems Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer, Entrepreneur in STEM, STEM Educator, Process Engineer, Product Manager, Director of Manufacturing, Outdoor Gear Designer, Outdoor Gear Manufacturer
What’s Included: This program will set-up an in person or online meeting of 2-4 hours depending on the career and industry between your kid and a STEM professional. Our partners are volunteers and not paid for their time. The $75 fee covers the application review process and the time needed to set up the connection.
- Kids must have taken a minimum of 4 Build a Robot K12 courses
- Must be a current 9 - 12 grader or have graduated high school within the last 6 months
- Must want to make a connection within a specific STEM field
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our promise to you. If you and your kid are not happy after the first class, we’ll give you a full refund. Or we can help you find a different course.
What is required for setting up a Job Shadow?
The applicant (9 - 12 grader) must submit a resume and a cover letter with the following:
- 3 careers or industries you are interested in doing a job shadow for
- Why you are interested in these careers/industries
- Up to 3 questions you would like to have answered during your job shadow (please make them career/industry specific if possible).