When I introduced robotics to my elementary kids, I didn’t expect that one day they would assemble their own…
Introduction to Robotics & Block-based Coding: Unit 1
Design, Build, & Program Your Own Robot
For Kids Grades 3-5
Spring Sale! Sign up for this robotics course and get 5 classes plus the robotics kit for only $149 (a $50 savings)! Expires 4/30/21
Your Kids Will:
- Learn how things work and gain the skills to create their own solutions
- Develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Develop empathy, curiosity, grit and creativity
- Build and design their own robots with screwdrivers, nuts, and bolts
Course Overview: Introduction to Robotics and Block-Based Coding: Unit 1
This course will inspire excitement for learning about robotics and computer based programming. Your kid will learn to work through problems with the support of social emotional learning and a focus on grit. They will be able to build and program their own robotic design by the end of the course.
Your kids will learn about the engineering design process, infrared technology, motors electricity, logic, algorithms, sequential thinking, loops, conditional statements and will practice different social emotional skills such as empathy, grit and creativity.
These robotic sets are educational, engaging, and offer lots of flexibility for your kids to create and program their own designs.
- Sets include CPU, LEDs, DC Motors, Infrared Sensors, a Buzzer, Contact Sensors and free coding software.
- Includes a workbook with step by step building guides for 10 builds.
- The open build and open coding platform allows your kids to learn the technology and coding terminology in an incremental way and then take their knowledge to the next level by designing, building, and coding their own creation - including a battle bot, a problem based learning solution, and more!
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our promise to you. If you and your kid are not happy after the first two classes, we’ll give you a full refund or help you find another course. See FAQ for more details.
Parents Love Us"My daughter (going to middle school) ... was able to learn some basic robotics and coding and then built her own music box as the final project on the last day. She was proud of her project and brought it to show off at a friend's place. She's attended other coding classes but was never that interested in them. This class was different, allowing more creativity, rather than just following some exercises."
- David H.
Kids Love Us"This is the best education center where a student can learn about the fundamental skills of engineering and STEM while having much fun. I have been going here for a year, and I think that I have learned a lot. I've also made many new friends. The teachers here are very supportive of everybody, and they don't put limits on a student's creativity."
- Logan G.
Social Emotional Topics: Perseverance, Respect, Mindfulness, and Teamwork.
Lesson 1: Introduction to class, overview of robotics, check out set materials, and discussion on social emotional learning topics (perseverance, respect, mindfulness, and teamwork)
Lesson 2: LEDs and Buzzers with robot build (electricity, current, vibration)
Lesson 3: Introduction to block based computer coding (Rogic, chips)
Lesson 4: DC Motors with robot build (torque, mechanical energy, direct versus alternating current))
Lesson 5: Programming DC Motors (speed, direction)
About the Instructor:
Mr. Max is one of Build A Robot K12’s incredible teachers. He loves helping students get invested in projects, as he firmly believes that hands-on work is the best way to get kids excited about learning.
He has a dual degree from CU Boulder in Mechanical Engineering and Science Education. His focus is on mechanical design and IoT. In addition to being an extraordinary instructor, he is an entrepreneur and co-founder of Stridetech Medical.
Something fun about Mr. Max: He is a big lover of all things bicycle related - tandem biking, mountain biking and bike fixing. Some of his favorite adventures include tandem biking the Going to Sun Road in Glacier National Park and bikepacking through the Moab Desert in Utah.
- Zoom installed and accessible on device being used for course.
- RoboRobo Kit Core Set (Included with purchase)
- Materials take 5 - 8 business days to deliver with standard free shipping. We recommend that you place your order with expedited shipping if materials are needed sooner; however, we cannot guarantee that all materials will arrive prior to the start of the first class.
- Rogic free software (software download links will be posted in Classroom Portal and sent to students prior to class kick off)
Your kid will be part of a small group, live online class that meets 1 hour/week. Outside of class, we expect they may need up to an hour to work on concepts or to finish building/programming their robots. However don’t be surprised if your kid wants to do more on their own for fun.