Intro to Arduino and Physical Computing
DESIGN, BUILD & PROGRAM ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS
For Grades 6-8
Your Kids Will:
- Learn how things work and gain the skills to create their own solutions
- Develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Develop social awareness, social intelligence, and collaboration and will learn to solve problems existing in their community
- Build and design their own projects
- Get foundations for other physical computing classes
Course Overview: Intro to Arduino and Physical Computing
This course will inspire excitement for learning about programming and physical computing.
Physical computing involves interactive systems that can sense and respond to the world around them. Many products we use everyday have embedded computing technology - phones, household appliances, automobiles, and toys to name a few. Kids will learn how to put together simple electronic circuits and write programs (Arduino "sketches") to create projects that light up, move, and make sound.
Your child will learn to work through coding and building activities that encourage them to develop solutions for the problems in the world around them. With the support of the course teacher, they will focus on social awareness, social intelligence, and collaboration.
Your kids will learn basic technology used in computers found in everyday life. In this hands-on virtual class, kids will get an introduction to physical computing using the popular Arduino microcontroller platform. This platform is a great way to learn physical computing for kids with no programming experience.
Course includes Grove Beginner Kit for Arduino ($40 Value)
The Grove Beginner Kit for Arduino® is powered by one Arduino UNO compatible Board (ATmega320p based Seeeduino Lotus) together with 10 additional Grove Arduino sensors all in one piece of the board.
- All modules are pre-wired, no breadboard and jumper cables required.
- Very easy to use while also being expandable and flexible for future projects.
- A servo motor, breadboard, jumper wires, RGB LED and resistors are included with the kit for this course.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our promise to you. If you and your kid are not happy after the first two classes, we’ll give you a full refund or help you find another course. See FAQ for more details.
Parents Love Us“My son enjoys the class. His teachers are so patient with him on explaining everything in both languages English and Spanish. He is excited to take more classes.”
- Vianney H.
“This is the best education center where a student can learn about the fundamental skills of engineering and STEM while having much fun. I have been going here for a year, and I think that I have learned a lot. I've also made many new friends. The teachers here are very supportive of everybody, and they don't put limits on a student's creativity.”
- Logan G.
Social Emotional Topics: Social Awareness, Social Intelligence, and Collaboration.
Lesson 1: Introduction to class, overview of Arduino, check out kit materials. Blinking LEDs, using a button as a sensor
Lesson 2: Making sounds and music; discussion/demo on sound waves and frequency
Lesson 3: Take a look at some fun Arduino projects (video). Sound level and light level sensors
Lesson 4: Displaying data and information on the OLED display. Temperature and humidity sensors
Lesson 5: How to use a breadboard. RGB (red-green-blue) LED
This course is intended for beginners who are middle school students or older. Ideally, kids must have the ability to use their computer effectively. Basic keyboard and mouse/trackpad skills are essential.
Do you need help picking the right course? Contact Us for help choosing the best option for your kid.
- Computer running Windows, MacOS, or Linux
- Grove Beginner Kit and Arduino Accessories (included with purchase price)
- Materials take 5 - 8 business days to deliver with standard free shipping. We recommend that you place your order with expedited shipping if materials are needed sooner; however, we cannot guarantee that all materials will arrive prior to the start of the first class.
- Microphone and camera for virtual classes
- Zoom installed and accessible on device being used for course.
- Arduino free software (software download links will be posted in Classroom Portal and sent to students prior to class kick off)
Your kid will be part of a small group, live online class that meets 1 hour/week. Outside of class, we expect they may need up to an hour to work on concepts or finish building/programming anything that is not finalized in class. However don’t be surprised if your kid wants to do more on their own for fun.
We believe that human-centered skills and technical skills need to go hand in hand in order to create inspired leaders and problem solvers who will direct positive, social change through technological advancement. With this vision in mind, we add Social Emotional Learning (SEL) to all of our courses. The SEL topics for this course include social awareness, social intelligence, and collaboration.
Our promise to you – if you or your kid are not happy within the first two classes, we’ll give you a full refund or help you find a different course. Full refund applies to $179 tuition, only, and does NOT include a refund on course materials (i.e. robotics sets) which are yours to keep. The request for a refund or transfer must be made within 3 business days from the date of the second class.