When I introduced robotics to my elementary kids, I didn’t expect that one day they would assemble their own…
Build an Autonomous Robot with mBot
DESIGN, BUILD & PROGRAM YOUR OWN ROBOT USING mBOT
For Grades 3-5
Your Kids Will:
- Learn how to program their own robot companion and gain skills to create their own solutions
- Develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Develop creativity, self-control, and self-awareness skills
- Get hands-on learning and develop fine motor skills as they build and assemble their robots with screwdrivers, nuts, and bolts
- Use block-based coding in which they can quickly find programming success
Course Overview: Build an Autonomous Robot with mBot: Unit 1
In this course, kids will learn the skills needed to create their very own robot companion. It is designed as an introduction to robotics and block-based coding for kids who are just diving into the world of STEM. Your child will learn by working through activities that teach robotics and coding, supported by Social Emotional Learning topics that help build creativity, self-control, and self-awareness.
Topics covered include: block-based coding, hardware assembly, ultrasonic and infrared sensors, Bluetooth and infrared connection, design thinking, and the interaction between software and hardware.
Kids will use the engineering design process and their social emotional learning elements in their final culminating project for this course.
The course includes an mBot by MakeBlock (a $99 value)
These robotic sets are a great educational platform designed to gamify coding and robotics.
- Sets include a bluetooth compatible CPU, LED matrix, DC Motors, Infrared Sensors and an ultrasonic sensor.
- The open coding platform allows kids to learn the technology and coding terminology in an incremental way so kids are seeing their own successes at each turn by designing, building, and operating their own creation - including a battle bot, a problem based learning solution, and more!
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our promise to you. If you and your kid are not happy after the first two classes, we’ll give you a full refund or help you find another course. See FAQ for more details.
Parents Love Us“We have two daughters who have taken classes with Build-A-Robot. They were both always excited for class, they learned a lot, the instructors have all been great, and we like that there was always a focus on social emotional learning. We highly recommend their classes!”
- Jasmine Schrader
Social Emotional Learning Topics: Creativity, Self-Control, and Self-Awareness
This course is intended for beginners who are upper elementary students or older. Kids must have the ability to use screwdrivers to assemble robotics that use components such as nuts, screws, and threaded and non-threaded building materials.
Looking for a more difficult challenge? Check out the Introduction To Robotics & Block-Based Coding: Unit 1 course
Do you need help picking the right course? Contact Us for help choosing the best option for your kid.
- PC, Mac, Chromebook, or Ipad
- Microphone and camera for virtual classes
- mBot (Included with purchase)
- Materials take 5 - 8 business days to deliver with standard free shipping. We recommend that you place your order with expedited shipping if materials are needed sooner; however, we cannot guarantee that all materials will arrive prior to the start of the first class.
- Microphone and camera for virtual classes
- Access to Zoom: Please go to https://zoom.us/ to install Zoom and set up your account on your device. Here is a video with tips on how to Install Zoom if you need additional support.
- Students will need to know how to share their screen in Zoom.
- mBot software and online editor (free software download links will be posted in Classroom Portal and sent to students prior to class kick off)
Your kid will be part of a small group, live online class that meets 1 hour/week. Outside of class, we expect they may need up to an hour to work on concepts or to finish building/programming their robots. However, don’t be surprised if your kid wants to do more on their own for fun.
We believe that human-centered skills and technical skills need to go hand in hand in order to create inspired leaders and problem solvers who will direct positive, social change through technological advancement. With this vision in mind, we add Social Emotional Learning (SEL) to all of our courses. The SEL topics for this course are creativity, self-control, and self-awareness.
Our promise to you – if you or your kid are not happy within the first two classes, we’ll give you a full refund or help you find a different course. Full refund applies to tuition, only, and does NOT include a refund on course materials (i.e. robotics sets) which are yours to keep. The request for a refund or transfer must be made within 3 business days from the date of the second class.