3D Printing & Computer Aided Design
Create 7 Different Computer Aided Design Models
Creative and Fun For Grades 3-5
Your Kids Will:
- Create their very own 3D printed project that will be shipped to them
- Collaborate with other kids to improve their own designs
- Practice empathy-based design and use empathy with family members to create a final project
- Develop goal setting skills using patience, perseverance, precision and follow through
- Gain confidence to follow and create their own ideas and unique projects
- Get a great introduction to engineering and design thinking
Course Overview: 3D Printing and Computer Aided Design: Unit 1
In this course, kids will learn how to create their own 3D models in Tinkercad, practice spatial visualization, and use 3D printers. The skill of spatial visualization has been shown to be beneficial in all STEM fields, as it helps kids imagine molecules in chemistry, piece together geometric proofs, and aid engineering design thinking.
This is the perfect course for kids that love invention, art, design, animation, video games, engineering, thinking creatively or are otherwise interested in 3D printing.
Kids will learn about additive design, 3D printing, subtractive design, how to visualize 3D space, the engineering design process, measurement, alignment, mirroring, units and creativity. In addition, every lesson will include a different social emotional skill such as perseverance, goal setting and precision.
Kids will learn all the skills they need to turn their own creative inventions into reality and will create up to seven different computer aided design models. One of their project designs will be 3D printed and shipped to the student as part of this course.
They will also be able to identify all the components of the engineering design cycle and will learn the basic anatomy of a 3D printer and the key design features to print a good design.
Course Includes 3D Printed Project Shipped to Home ($15 Value)
Course Uses Tinkercad
Tinkercad is a web-based, computer aided design software created by Autodesk and is one of the most popular educational CAD programs.
- Easily exports .STL files for 3D printers
- Allows multiple kids to work on the same design and is free to use
- Kids will learn how to navigate the camera in Tinkercad, as well as how to change the size, orientation and position of various parts around the workspace.
- Kids will be able to combine shapes and holes together to form more complicated designs as well as measure and align parts using the correct units.
Our promise to you. If you and your kid are not happy after the first two classes, we’ll give you a full refund or help you find another course. See FAQ for more details.
Parents Love Us“My son had a wonderful time in this class. The instructor, Mr. Max was great with a beginner using TinkerCAD and my son would love to take another class with him.”
- Jennifer E.
“My 10 year old son says this is the best class he has taken all summer. He really enjoyed getting to learn TinkerCAD, and the fun projects they did. He's looking forward to getting his completed project in the mail!”
- Michelle A.
Social Emotional Topics: Goal Setting, Patience, Perseverance, Precision and Follow Through
Lesson 1: Introduction to class, overview of computer aided design and the Minecraft pig project.
Lesson 2: Additive design, students will build their own winter wonderland and practice setting goals.
Lesson 3: Subtractive design, students will work together to develop their own themed chess sets.
Lesson 4: Precision, students will learn how to align and measure parts as well as create their own fidget spinner.
Lesson 5: Spatial Visualization, students will extrapolate 3D designs from 2D drawings.
This course is intended for beginner designers who are upper elementary students. All are welcome.
Do you need help picking the right course? Contact Us for help choosing the best option for your kid.
- PC, Mac or Chromebook with a computer mouse
- Microphone and camera for virtual classes
- Access to Zoom: Please go to https://zoom.us/ to install Zoom and set up your account on your device. Here is a video with tips on how to Install Zoom if you need additional support.
- Students will need to know how to share their screen in Zoom.
- Tinkercad software (software download links will be posted in Classroom Portal and sent to students prior to class kick off)
We believe that human-centered skills and technical skills need to go hand in hand in order to create inspired leaders and problem solvers who will direct positive, social change through technological advancement. With this vision in mind, we add Social Emotional Learning (SEL) to all of our courses. The SEL topics for this course include Goal Setting, Patience, Perseverance, Precision and Follow Through.
Our promise to you – if you or your kid are not happy within the first two classes, we’ll give you a full refund or help you find a different course. Full refund applies to tuition, only, and does NOT include a refund on course materials (i.e. robotics sets) which are yours to keep. The request for a refund or transfer must be made within 3 business days from the date of the second class.